OGG Online

Aloha--E Komo Mai--HOWZIT!? If you called it "Seven Sacred Pools" this site is for you...

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Chicken Hekka

My sister (chief researcher) found a recipe online for Chicken Hekka from Aloha World.

Here it is:

Chicken Hekka

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken
3/4 C Sugar
3/4 C Shoyu
3/4 C Mirin
2 Tbs Oil
2" Ginger, grated
3 Medium carrots, julienne 2 Onions, sliced
1 can Shredded bamboo shoots, drained (14 oz.)
1/2 lbs Fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch Watercress, cut into 2" lengths
8 oz pkg Long rice, soaked & cut into 2" lengths
Cooking Instructions:
Slice chicken into serving pieces. Combine sugar, shoyu & mirin. In a skillet or wok, heat oil to medium high. Squeeze juice from grated ginger into wok. Add ginger & stir fry until brown, discard ginger fibers. Add chicken & stir-fry over high heat. Add shoyu mixture & cook 2 more min. Add vegetables, one at a time, & stir-fry after each addition. Add long rice & cook 3 more min. or until done.

MMMMMM. I can't wait to try this recipe. I will take pictures and post reviews as well.

If you are looking for cookbooks from Hawaii, my two favorites are:




I use the kal bi recipe in Taste all the time and have made prune mui a couple of times and LOVE IT.

You can buy A Taste of Aloha from the Junior League of Honolulu. I found only used versions of Hawaii's Country Tables on Amazon.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Sarah Auerswald said...

All I can think of is the Chicken Hekka they made at Kula School in the 1970's -- The definition of disgusting. I don't know if I could bring myself to even try it again -- even if it was made my you!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Sarah, I feel your pain. Public school cafeteria food, not always ideal! Don't worry, I won't make any for you, ever!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home